Sunday, August 30, 2015

Pancakes Are Good for You

This is not a Sunday dinner post but a "quickie in the morning something healthy post!"  We love pancakes around here but we all know they are not that healthy for you. Pancakes actually contain the word cake right in them so it's really like eating cake for breakfast, Right?
So on that note...a while back I discovered a recipe for pancakes that ooze of protein and not a whole lot of the not healthy stuff.  It's a quick batter to whip up and you'll beat eating them in no time at all.  If I know I will be in a hurry in the morning, I put all of the dry ingredients in the blender and simply add the wet ingredients in the morning and blend it while the frying pan is heating up.  Pretty slick!
Protein Pancakes

Place the following ingredients in a blender:
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup cottage cheese
2/3 liquid egg whites or 4 egg whites (These come in a carton by the eggs)
generous dash of cinnamon
dash of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
Optional: 3-4 inch slice of banana
Blend thoroughly until smooth and oats are fine.  Pour onto lightly greased pan/griddle.  
The batter is very runny so you will want to make the pancakes small or the batter will run all over the place.  When surface of pancake bubbles, flip pancakes. 

 I like to stack my pancakes on my plate because they are so thin and top with the good stuff; liquid gold, aka REAL maple syrup....
and whatever fruit I have in the refrigerator.  I usually have leftovers and they do reheat nicely in the microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment