Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Something's Fishy

So it's been a while since I posted a Sunday dinner menu.  It's not that we haven't eaten Sunday dinner, I just have been a little busy focusing on other things.  This post was a menu from a few weeks ago.  We had Tilapia, which is seriously one of Easton's favorite meals.  He loves the cheesy, Parmesan sauce that smothers the fish.  The topping pretty much camouflages the fact that you are even eating fish.  Don't tell anyone they're eating fish and I am sure they will gobble it right up!

Parmesan Tilapia (Recipe below)
Fresh Green Beans
Rice-A-Roni (out of a box, haha!)
Warm Dinner Rolls
Dessert:  Amazing Coconut Pie (Recipe below)

Parmesan Tilapia
I actually got this recipe from my cousin, Cindi.  I'm sure she doesn't even remember but a long time ago a put a request out on facebook for some new fish recipes and she posted this one and said that her kids love it.  I tried it and it's definitely a good way to get the kiddos to try fish because Tilapia is a very mild tasting fish. I have tweaked it over time but this is pretty much the basic recipe.

In a bowl combine:

1/2 C Parmesan (out of the green can)
1/4 C butter, softened
3 TBSP mayonnaise
2 TBSP lemon juice
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp celery salt
2 pounds tilapia fillets (or however many you need)

Spray a foil-lined pan with Pam and place fish filets.  Broil for 3 minutes.  Flip fish over and broil another 3 minutes.  Flip over again.  Spread fish with Parmesan/mayonnaise mixture.  Broil about three minutes until bubbly and golden brown.  At this point you may serve the fish but my husband, Stephen likes his a little crisp on top so I add some Panko bread crumbs that have been mixed with melted butter to the top of the fish and broil until the crumbs are toasty, golden brown.






Warm Dinner Rolls
These are Easton's favorite rolls of all time and they are so easy.  I buy the big bag of frozen rolls, like Rhodes rolls except we don't have those out here in Georgia.  I just buy the Kroger brand and it works just swell.  I grease the pan with butter.  Dip the tops of the frozen rolls in melted butter and place in pan.  Cover with saran wrap and allow to rise, about 5 hours.  Bake at 400 degrees for 7-10 minutes.  Keep an eye on them so they are a nice golden, brown.


Amazing Coconut Pie
This pie is from my childhood!  It was our go-to pie when we needed a quick Sunday dinner dessert.  My mother always had me make it while she got the rest of the dinner ready.  I love to serve it while still warm from the oven with a raspberry sauce on top with a dollop of sweetened whipping cream.

In a blender combine the following:

2 C milk
3/4 C sugar
1/2 C Bisquik
4 eggs
1/4 C butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Blend on low for 3 minutes.  Pour into greased 9 inch pan. 

 Let stand for 5 minutes.  Then sprinkle with 1 Cup coconut.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  Serve warm or cool.


For the raspberry sauce I pour one bag of frozen raspberries in a pan and heat on low, stirring occasionally until heated.  Add a scoop of powered sugar to sweeten, stirring to dissolve.

2 comments: