Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Cinnamon Rolls, Yum!

Ooey, gooey cinnamon rolls!  You just can't resist, at least I can't!  I love unraveling the warm cinnamon roll to reveal the delicious, coveted center piece of doughy goodness.   Soft, moist, buttery, and smothered in cinnamon.  And the best part is the cream cheese icing on top!  Are you ready to eat a cinnamon roll yet?  Well, let's get started! 
I use the dinner roll recipe found in my old Lion House Recipes cookbook.



I place the water and yeast in the bowl of my Kitchen Aid and let it sit for about 5 minutes.  Make sure the water is luke warm...not too hot and not to cold.
The yeast mixture starts out looking like this and after 5 minutes it looks like.....
THIS!
Add the remaining ingredients plus two cups of the flour.  With the dough hook attachment mix until the dough starts to form a ball and flour becomes incorporated.
Add two more cups of flour one at a time, mixing until smooth.  I use medium speed.
Add about a cup more of flour a half cup at a time.  You may not need to use all of it.  The less you use the lighter your dough will be.  When finished kneading place dough in large greased bowl with a towel covering it.  Let rise away from drafts for one hour until double in size.  I place my bowl in the oven with the light turned on.


Grease two large pans.
Now this is where the fun part comes in.  Drizzle a little puddle of oil on a clean counter top and spread all over.
Roll out dough to form a large rectangle (mine is mishapen).
Spread rolled out dough with one stick of butter.  Yes, you heard me right...one stick of Butter!  It seems to work best if I just use my hands.
Generously sprinkle brown sugar all over the butter layer and then sprinkle a layer of cinnamon.
I love pecans in my cinnamon rolls so that's the next thing to add if you'd like.  And then raisins.  My husband isn't a fan of raisins so I put them on just half this time around just to make him happy!

The next part is a little tricky but I know you can do it!  You're going to roll up the dough into a long snake.  Be careful to keep all the goodies tucked in safely and then pinch the long edge of the dough together to seal it.
Cut the snake into 1-2 inch pieces, depending on how thick you want your cinnamon rolls.  For the cinnamon rolls I made today I cut them about 2 inches thick.  Place the rolls in the greased pans and let rise until double in size.

While waiting for the rolls to rise I make the yummy cream cheese frosting.  You will need:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 C powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 TBSP milk
Combine all ingredients and blend on low speed so the powdered sugar doesn't poof in your face.

When rolls have risen bake in a 400 degree oven for 8-10 minutes.  Every oven cooks differently so keep an eye on them!  After removing from oven frost rolls while still warm.  

Hey everybody...the cinnamon rolls are ready!!!  Come and get 'em!

2 comments:

  1. The recipe says 15-20 minutes. Why didnyiundo 8-10.? Is this what you do fringe Orange rolls?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, typos. Why did you do 8-10? And is this what you do for orange rolls. They also said to roll on a floured surface, why do you do oil?

    ReplyDelete