Monday, August 11, 2014

Simple Summer Menu

This is my first Sunday dinner menu post and I know that I have a lot to learn....looking at this picture I'm thinking that it doesn't make the food look that appetizing.  Oh well....I know it was good and my family ate it up!  Here's our Sunday dinner menu of the week:

Teriyaki grilled chicken, (See instructions below)
Fresh steamed green beans (Our first harvest from the garden!)
Seasonal fruit (The Georgia peaches were perfect)
Baked Potato topped with sour cream
(It's not in the picture...not because it wasn't good, but because I was full from snacking while cooking!)
Chocolate Ice cream Sundae with homemade Heavenly Hot Fudge
(See recipe below)

My first harvest of green beans this year.  So exciting!
Teriyaki Chicken

This is a super easy recipe......that is easy to make for any number of people.  I simply place chicken breasts that have been cut into filets in a zip lock bag.  To the bag add 1 cup bottled Italian dressing and 1/3 cup of bottled teriyaki marinade and sauce.  Seal bag and allow chicken to marinate over night in fridge.  Place chicken breasts on heated grill on a low temperature, allowing chicken to cook evenly on both sides until juices from chicken run clear.  Remove from heat.


Heavenly Hot Fudge

This favorite family recipe came from my Aunt Jane (Jane Homer Heaps).  We use it as a warm topping for ice cream and for chocolate fondue.  This truly is a family favorite and my children are "chocolate sauce snobs" when it comes to Chocolate Sundaes.  It's so much better than the manufactured stuff you find in the plastic bottles in the grocery store.  When I was little I would sneak spoonfuls out of the container in the refrigerator!  So yummy! This was loved so much by my son, Landon that he learned how to make it so he could have it anytime he wanted it!

1 1/2 sticks salted butter (yes, the real stuff)
6 TBSP cocoa
3 cups sugar
1 can evaporated milk

Using a double boiler over medium heat melt the butter and then slowly stir in the cocoa.  Gradually add the sugar to mixture, stirring until all sugar is mixed in.  It will become very grainy and hard to stir.  After sugar is all mixed in, add the evaporated milk, a little at a time while stirring constantly. Continue to stir until sauce becomes smooth and sugar is completely dissolved.  Serve warm.  Store leftovers in airtight container in refrigerator.  Can be reheated over stove (stir to prevent scorching) or in the microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment