Sunday, September 7, 2014

Viva Italian!


My house is a mess right now because we are kind of in a transition in our decorating.  The dining room got dumped on literally so we had to eat our Sunday dinner at the kitchen table and that was just  OK.  It doesn't matter if you have a grandiose dining room, fancy china and crystal, and the finest silver place settings.  What matters is that you are gathering together as a family around the dinner table to create memories, become closer and eat some fabulous food!  We had a great Sunday dinner menu today which included one of Stephen's favorites, Chicken Parmesan.

Parmesan Chicken (recipe below)
Buttered Noodles
Fresh Garden Salad
Warm rolls
Dessert: Strawberry Freeze (recipe below)

Chicken Parmesan
This recipe came from.....ME!  I just made it up because Chicken Parmesan sounded really good one day.  It was a hit and we've been eating it ever since in our home.  This is one of Stephen's favorites and he usually will request this on his birthdays and other special occasions.

You will need 3 chicken breasts cut into filets.

Combine and pour into flat dish:

1 cup cornflake crumbs (You can sometimes buy it at the grocery store but I usually just grind it in my blender and it works perfectly.)
1/4 grated Parmesan cheese (The kind that comes in the green shaker style container)
1/8 tsp garlic powder

In a separate dish beat 1 egg.


Pour olive oil in heated frying pan.  Dip chicken into beaten egg and then into cornflake crumbs.  Make sure chicken is completely coated.  Place in frying pan and cook on both sides until nicely browned.

Remove chicken from frying pan and place on cookie sheet.  Pour spaghetti sauce of your choice (I use Prego Mushroom) on each filet.  Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of sauce (You can use grated) and pop it under the broiler until melted and bubbly.

Buttered Noodles
This is a pretty darn easy dish to prepare.  I use the homemade noodles that come in a cellophane bag in the pasta section.  It boils for three minutes and then it's done!  That's it!  So fast and easy.  I melt butter and add it to the drained noodles and sprinkle with a little parsley for color.


Fresh Garden Salad

I love making fresh garden salads to accompany my main dish.  This salad needed to be tossed with a savory Italian dressing to compliment the Chicken Parmesan....nothing sweet needed this time.  For this salad I combined romaine lettuce and spinach, tomatoes from my garden (woohoo), cucumbers, pepperoni slices, cornbread croutons (I love those way better than the basic seasoned bread crumbs), and some shredded Parmesan cheese.  My favorite Italian dressing is Ken's Three Cheese Italian, but I haven't been able to find it lately so it's probably been discontinued...just my luck!

Strawberry Freeze
This has to be one of my all time favorite desserts.  My mother made this for us when I was little and it was seriously always my requested birthday "cake".  We didn't like cake in my family so we just always did birthday desserts!  My daughter, Ashton always picked this as her brithday cake too!  I still love this frozen treat to this day.  I have to say that this dessert got rave reviews from my father-in-law today.  He said it was the best dessert he's ever had and he helped himself to a second serving.  That never happens so we know it must be good!  It's a great dessert for Sunday dinner because you can prepare it the night before, leaving more time for you to get dinner ready on Sunday.

Don't you just love my cute little typed recipe card that I made when I probably 13 as I started gleaning recipes from my Mother to add to my collection.
Of course I have tweaked the recipe just a little throughout the years but it's basically the same.

Combine in a bowl:

1 Cup flour
1/4 Cup brown sugar
1/2 Cup chopped walnuts ( I use pecans)
1/2 Cup butter, melted


Pour in a flat pan.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Let cool.  Pour 2/3 of crumbs in bottom of 13x9.  Reserve the rest.

Blend together:

2 egg whites
1 Cup sugar*
2 Cup sliced strawberries*
2 TBSP lemon juice

*I used a 16 ounce container of frozen, sliced strawberries (thawed) and cut the sugar to 1/2 Cup

In a separate bowl beat 1 Cup whipping cream until thickened.
Gently fold whipped cream into strawberry mixture.  Pour over crumbs in the 13x9 pan.

Place reserved crumbs on top of strawberry mixture.  Place in freezer overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment